Welcome to my Den of Delights! Please make yourselves comfortable.

Saturday, May 14, 2011

REVIEW: Comanche Moon (#1 Comanche) by Catherine Anderson

5+ Stars!  - Read January 2011

I decided to do this “review” in an epistolary format.

My Dear Friends,

My friend from Goodreads, MelissaB, recommended Comanche Moon to me as a good “Native American” Romance. Thanks, Melissa! Then, I noticed Comanche Moon was a popular recommendation in the Secret Santa “gift” exchange on the We Love Lisa Kleypas Group at Goodreads, being recommended several times.

After being unable to decide what to read as my first read of 2011, and deciding to blindly choose from a selected pile of books that I was most looking forward to reading, the fates led me to Comanche Moon! And I must say that it was a great book to start the New Year with! I LOVED it!!!

I definitely recommend this book to any romance reader, not only those interested in a good NA Romance, but those looking for an amazing, memorable, powerful, emotional and honestly portrayed love story that will stand the test of time, ie. something to add to your “keeper” shelf.

Ms. Anderson’s writing was vivid and made me feel like I was actually there in 1859 Texas, among the Comanche nation. I felt like I was watching this beautifully honest and aching love story unfold before my eyes. I loved and appreciated the realism Ms. Anderson portrayed in the slow progression from hate to friendship, and eventually, to love, between the orphaned Loretta, who had witnessed the brutal attack and killing of her parents by Comanches, and Hunter of the Wolf, a Comanche warrior whose pregnant wife had been viciously raped by the “White-Eyes”, and died as a result of her horrendous internal injuries. The journey from hate to love was certainly not an easy one (as one would expect) and I even wondered if these two would have their destined HEA - I ached for them.

But what I, personally, loved most about this book, was the hero, Hunter. The depths of patience, gentleness and kindness he showed Loretta (and also her cousin, Amy, and his own blinded-by-hate cousin, Red Buffallo) made me fall madly (literarily) in love with his character, and he is now among my fave heroes, and certainly my fave NA hero! *sighs*

I was so impressed, and even more intrigued and excited to read Comanche Moon, after having read Catherine Anderson’s Letter to the Readers included at the beginning of the long-awaited 2008 reprint, that I have decided to share it with you here (below) in the hopes that in will encourage you to read this amazing book, too.

I’m so pleased that this book has been reprinted and is available for a reasonable price, so that I was able to enjoy it…. and you can, too! So far, three of the Comanche books have been re-released: Comanche Moon, Comanche Heart, and Indigo Blue. The 4th book in the series Comanche Magic was just re-released on 3rd May 2011.

If you haven't read this book, I hope that when ^_~ you read this, that you will love it as much as I do!

Your anxiously-awaiting-to-see-what-you-think-of-this-book friend,
Jayne

P.S. Read. This. Book! ^_^


Dear readers,
For many years now, I have received letters from you about my out-of-print historical romances. Where might you find them? Why do they cost so much? When will my publisher reprint them? I kept promising you it would happen, but as time wore on, even I began to wonder if it ever would.

Now it finally has! New American Library/Signet recently purchased the rights to the first three of those out-of-print books, and Comanche Moon, originally published in 1991, is the first to be reissued. I am so excited! To all who have waited so patiently for this day to arrive, thank you. To those who are confirmed contemporary fans, please consider taking this journey with me into the past. A great love story transcends time, and I’m confident that Comanche Moon will touch your emotions and linger in your memory.

Comanche Moon was a true labor of love, a book that came straight from my heart. When it was first offered to publishers in the late ‘80s, editor after editor rejected it because the story broke so many established rules of the romance genre. I was asked to change the book if I wanted to sell it, but I refused. In many ways, Comanche Moon is a tribute to a wonderful people, the Comanche nation, and after doing four years of research, I couldn’t bring myself to betray them or their culture by altering the story to fit a mold. I believed that readers were more sophisticated than some editors thought, and I was confident they would love the book just as it was, if only they could get the opportunity to read it.

I was right! When Comanche Moon finally made it into print its honesty and uniqueness were eagerly embraced by readers, and I will always feel that this story set the tone for my entire writing career. My readers came to expect books from me that didn’t always follow the conventions, emotionally powerful stories that depict the miracle of true love in trying real-life situations.

I regret that this book has been so difficult to find for so long. The first print runs were small, and many readers kept their copies because the novel was so well liked, making it even harder for other readers to find. Now, at long last, you will be able to purchase as many copies as you wish.

I hope you enjoy Comanche Moon as much as I enjoyed writing it, and that it finds a prominent place on your keeper shelf as one of your all-time favourites.

All the very best,

Catherine Anderson



Dear Ms. Catherine Anderson,

THANK YOU for not giving up on this book! THANK YOU for not compromising your beliefs in this story, in order just to get this book sold! This reader truly appreciates the research you put into it, and the respect you showed to the Comanche nation in this story. Bravo! I loved this book, that clearly came from your heart, and it has definitely made it into my “keepers” shelf. What an amazingly different, honest, real, heartwrenching and achingly beautiful Romance! I am so glad that the publishers took a chance to publish this in 1991, but even more thankful that it has been re-released and that I only discovered it now. I look forward to reading the rest of the Comanche series and your other books.

"Suvate". It is finished. But it will remain on in my heart ... and in my future re-reads! ^_^

A very thankful and happy reader,
Jayne 

My Loretta and My Hunter

4 comments:

  1. Hi Lady Jayne! I just finished reading Comanche Moon and I loved it! I went on the Internet to look for more information about it, and I ended up in your blog. I liked your review of the story, I think the same way as you. But truth be told, I fell in love with the man you picked (the one in the images) to represent Hunter. He is gorgeous! Could you please tell me his real name? Is he an actor? A model? Thank you very much!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @Cassio: Hi Cassio, Thank you very much for your comment! Very sorry for the delay in replying, Cassio. I've been MIA. Life has been super busy. Glad you enjoyed the review and especially my image of Hunter. ^_^ That's actually an old photo of Jamie Durie, an Australian landscaper and TV personality. These pics were taken during his "Manpower Australia" days, another lifetime ago. The way he looks in these photos just really matched the image I had in my head of Hunter. Jamie Durie looks VERY different these days but still cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Lady Jayne! Thanks so much for answering ;). I'm so happy to know the name of the man!! Jamie Durie... I've never heard from him. I search on the web about him, and yes, he definitely looks different now, but as you say, he's still cute! Now I can tell my friends his name, because they all want to know. They've fallen in love with Hunter, haha.

    I'm going to add your blog to my list, so I can keep reading your book reviews.

    I didn´t know about The Book Depository, so I'm glad I visited your blog to know about it. I my try it this weekend and order some books ;). Thanks very much!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Lady Jayne,first of all I would like to say that I loved your blog. I've recently read the entire series and was wondering what you thought of the rest of The Comanche series, if you so happen to have read them.

    I totally loved your picture for Hunter, but I can't stop loving his character. Especially through out the series.

    Thank you again for such a wonderful blog of such a wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete